Deadline Heading link
The general deadline for both US domestic students and international students is December 15. Please note LS@UIC applications for the PhD program only for the fall semester.
Questions? Heading link
Required Materials Heading link
The Application for Graduate Study is to be completed on-line. The application fee can be paid on-line with a credit card only at the time of the submission of your application. You will be asked to upload the following:
- Personal statement: This should be 3 to 5 pages in length, typed, and double-spaced. Please describe your reasons for wanting to pursue a doctorate in learning sciences. Include any relevant information about your background, and give some idea of what you would be interested in studying if accepted to the program. This does not mean you have to specify the exact direction of your future research. Your research questions will inevitably change as you gain expertise as a graduate student — we are asking for a general sense of your future direction.
- Three letters of recommendation: You will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of three references who have agreed to submit letters on your behalf. A request for a letter of recommendation will then be sent to your designated recommenders. The application system will track requests that have been sent and letters that have been received. Letters must be written by professors or employers who can accurately comment on your academic and research ability. All letters must be signed and typed on institutional letterhead.
- Test Scores
- GRE: Request through ETS, using code 1851. We do not have a minimum score requirement. Since it sometimes takes two months for the official GRE scores to reach us, you can help us by uploading a photocopy of your unofficial test reports with your application.
- English Language Competency tests: (International students only) The minimum TOEFL score required by the University of Illinois at Chicago is 550 for the computer-based test. Please see the UIC Graduate College page for complete information.
Application Process Heading link
For External Applicants
- Go to the UIC Graduate College online application page.
- Select “PHD Learning Sciences” from the dropdown list of programs.
- Create an account or log in to your account. As a result of this step, you will be issued an identification number (UIN). Please note your number for future reference.
- Follow the instructions, uploading required materials.
For UIC Transfer Applicants
You do not need to fill out another internal UIC application.
- Have your current department send us a copy of your original application, including test scores and transcripts. You can also send us new copies of your test scores and transcripts.
- Send a copy of your “University of Illinois Academic History,” available on your UIC web page. This has records from the courses you have completed in your current program.
- Please write a new personal statement that includes your research goals and your reasons for switching to Learning Sciences.
Send all materials to:
Dr. Minjun Ryu, Director of Graduate Studies
If you are accepted to our program, you will need to complete additional paperwork.
Here is a link to the Graduate College site about changing graduate programs:
Look for the section titled “Change of Graduate Program or Degree-Sought for Current Graduate Students”
For International Applicants
Your application should follow guidelines for external applicants. In addition:
- Upload your TOEFL or IELTS scores. See information about language proficiency testing above.
- Be sure to inform yourself about necessary visas and other requirements on this page: admissions.uic.edu/graduate-professional
- Please note that, when you have been admitted to LSRI, you will be asked to send an International Student Declaration and Certification of Finances form.